When it comes to dealing with dry skin, we understand that the ideal solution would use something that prevents dry skin from ever coming back, not just some moisturizers that make your skin look and feel better for just a few days. We at Ecobeautica want to support your dry skin by finding the root cause of this condition so that we can take the right steps toward nourishing and revitalizing your skin to give it back that youthful, glowing appearance.
Why So Dry?
Dry skin is easy to notice. Generally, dry skin will have one or more of the following characteristics:
- A tight feeling, especially after exposure to water (showering or swimming, for instance)
- Fine lines or cracks
- Flaking, scaling, or peeling
- Grayness or ashiness
- Rough appearance or texture
You might already know what signifies dry skin. Instead, you may be wondering why your skin looks and feels so dry. Well, a number of things may be behind your dry skin:
- Hot showers can dry out the natural oils that your skin produces.
- Some soaps may be too harsh for your skin, stripping it of its natural moisture barrier.
- Likewise, scrubbing your skin too hard in the shower may strip your skin and promote dryness.
- Drying your skin too much when you step out of the shower may also be a big mistake. Your skin can absorb moisture from water, so it may be better to leave your skin moist and to lock in that hydration with a moisturizer.
- Dry winter air can dehydrate your skin.
- Excessive sun exposure can weaken your skin, preventing it from holding in moisture and replenishing itself.
- Aging also lends itself well to dry skin as hormone levels change. Your best bet would be to use products that contain ingredients meant to replenish dry, aging skin.
Make Sure Your Skin-Care Products Aren't Missing Out
When choosing which products to use on your skin, we know how important it is to use products that contain ingredients intended to support your skin and the underlying root cause of your skin's dryness. Different combinations of ingredients may work better depending on whether you have dry and dehydrated skin, dry sensitive skin, dry combination skin, or dry aging skin. There are many ingredients out there, but some must-haves for dry skin include sunscreen, antioxidants, alpha hydroxy acids, emollients, and humectants. Take a look at the products for dry skin that you have. Do they contain any of these ingredients?
Sunscreen is an obvious one. Overexposure to sunlight leaves your skin at risk for sun damage, which not only dries the skin but can also chip away at the skin's natural barrier. Using products that contain sunscreen in them, even on cloudy days, can protect your skin from harmful UV rays and give your skin a better chance to restore itself.
Antioxidants could strengthen our skin's defenses against environmental damage like sun damage. Not only that, but antioxidants could also rejuvenate the skin, supporting the skin so it may bounce back from any environmental damage. There are many antioxidants out there. Some antioxidants are:
- Benzoic acid
- Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA)
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid and magnesium ascorbyl phosphate)
- Vitamin E (tocopherol)
- Grape seed extract
- Green tea extract
- Licorice extract
- Willow herb extract
Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) are naturally occurring acids that have multiple beneficial effects on skin, including dry skin. Some of the most common AHAs used in skin-care products are lactic acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, and glycolic acid. AHAs can:
- Exfoliate and cleanse the skin, smoothing surface wrinkles in the process
- Stimulate cell renewal to bring newer skin cells to the surface, improving the skin's barrier function and supporting its moisture retention as a result
- Loosen clogged pores, making it easier to prevent acne
- Removing stained skin cells, reducing the appearance of discolored patches of skin
Emollients may be some of the best ingredients for dry skin. They can support water retention by essentially filling in the cracks in your dry skin to prevent water evaporation. Some examples of emollients are:
- Capric/caprylic triglycerides
- Cetyl alcohol
- Isopropyl myristate
- Jojoba oil
- Mineral oil
- Petroleum jelly (petrolatum)
- Shea butter
- Silicones (cyclomethicone, dimethicone, and phenyl trimethicone)
Humectants are ingredients that attract water. They include urea, mucopolysaccharides, and sorbitol. Butylene glycol, propylene glycol, and sorbitol are humectants that are also used for the softening effect they have on the skin.
Your Dry Skin and Us
Ecobeautica has the knowledge and techniques necessary to support your dry skin. Once we've learned the root cause of your dry skin, we will work with you to determine which ingredients and services may best support your dry skin.
Our signature Ecobeautica Facial would be customized to your skin's needs. Whether you have dry skin, dry sensitive skin, dry combination skin, dry aging skin, or another kind of skin make-up, we'll put together a facial that will work best for your unique skin concerns. This may involve the use of moisturizing agents to hydrate your skin and give it back its youthful appearance.
Our Oxygen Facial uses 90-95% pure oxygen to make it easier for the skin to absorb hydrating serums and nutrients. It is a gentle, non-invasive facial that may strengthen collagen and elastin fibers in the skin, improving skin elasticity and giving your skin a smoother, younger look.
A Hydradermie Facial may be the best choice for you. This cutting-edge Guinot facial works well even for sensitive skin. We offer eight kinds of Hydradermie Facials: moisturizing, purifying, anti-wrinkle, age logic and anti-aging, nourishing, brightening, soothing, and sun preparation/repair. Dry skin may benefit best from the moisturizing, anti-wrinkle, nourishing, and sun preparation/repair Hydradermie facials, but other Hydradermie facials may work better for you depending on what your skin needs.
A classic peel may be enough for your skin. Chemical peels clear out dead skin cells on the surface of your skin, allowing the fresh skin beneath to come up to the surface. A peel can minimize fine lines due to dehydration, soften your dry skin, and stimulate collagen production to make your skin look smoother and younger.
Ecobeautica is dedicated to improving your skin and addressing any skin concerns like dryness that you may have. To learn more about what we can do for your dry skin, book an appointment or call us at (718) 382-9200 ext. 1.